Tuesday, October 9, 2012

California homeowner displays sign, ‘Go back to Kenya’ with two watermelons in a chair and a noose

Article Mirror

October 9, 2012
By 

Just a few feet away from a “Mitt Romney for President” sign, a chair is displayed with a noose draped over it, and two watermelons propped up. A Morgan Hill, California homeowner decided to show his support for his presidential choice, by taking the racist route. Included in the display, is a a sign of a teleprompter that reads, “Go back to Kenya.”

KTVU.com reports:

“I think it’s a very silly prank. It’s like someone thinks that Halloween is right around the corner, I guess,” said Steve Preminger, chair of the Santa Clara County Democratic Party. “I think it’s very disrespectful that someone should do that. I think there are racist overtones. To me it’s the mark of a kind of bizarre person.”

The property owner Blake la Beck, said the display speaks for itself.

San Martin resident Ben Gomez stated, “We shouldn’t be threatening with a noose and a watermelon. I believe that’s a little over the top. I like the chair and the teleprompter. I mean, they're just copying Clint Eastwood, so I can’t blame them on that one. But the noose goes a little over the edge.”

The sign reading, ‘Go back to Kenya’ is obviously acceptable though. Earlier in the week the words, “Muslim lier,” with “liar” misspelled, were spray painted across a large banner in red at President Obama’s campaign headquarters in Des Moines, Iowa.

A few years ago, these displays of stupidity would be shocking. We've become desensitized as a nation, due to extremism becoming more acceptable, thusly dismissed as just a one off incident. I disagree. Birtherism is born from racism, giving birth to the view that an African American/Black man cannot possibly be eligible to lead this country.